TheSoneSource (더 소원 소스) making the best hangout place for S♥NEs. We serve the latest Girls' Generation news for you to spazz about!

더 소원 소스, 소원의 즐거운 시간을 보내는 곳… 당신을 위해 소녀시대의 최근 소식을 우리는 전해드립니다.
______________________________________________________________________________________

''I GOT A BOY'' Music Video Review

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 · Posted in

It’s been 14 months since Girls' Generation have been missing from the Korean music scene, busily promoting overseas. Of course I haven’t missed them as I've been following their journey to world domination! Our 9 angles are back and they've hit it hard with a very different and unusual song. It received mixed responses with some listeners saying that ''It's all over the place'' and has ''So many genres in one song that doesn't make a pleasant listening experience.'' Other reactions were positive saying '' It's unique'' and ''It's about time the K-Pop industry changed their style; this is something very fresh''.

When I first watched the music video, the first thing I noticed was that I was in it: 
I always thought one day I'd become a music video director for Girls' Generation. Not the bloody actor.
I always thought one day I'd become a music video director for Girls' Generation. Not the bloody actor.

The second thing I noticed was how stylishly dressed each of the members were (as always). They were so different from their previous concepts and really showed a more unexplored side to Girls' Generation. Might I add, Yuri in particular looked like a BOSS:

Should women really be this cool?
Should women really be this cool?

     
Every single one of the members' outfits seemed to match their personalities and styles. The sets this time around varied from bright to dark, giving each stage a difference in feeling and relatable to that particular part of the song (and boy, there are MANY different parts to this song). The sets are so well designed and compliment the girls' outfits so much so that you could almost say they were destined to be one with them.

Tiffany rocking that Burberry Prorsum coat like it was made just for her (it was)
Tiffany rocking that Burberry Prorsum coat like it was made just for her (it was).

The dance moves as always are well choreographed and showed off Girls' Generation’s talents in all areas. A lot of girl groups lack strong dance moves but Girls' Generation always excel in choreography, coming up with the most creative moves in the K-Pop scene. I mean, who else has a dance move that requires an individual to move around their hair with their fingers while thrusting their legs forwards and moving their hips at the same time? (''Oh!'' Song reference). This time around, the dance choreography was fast and ruthless just like last year's ''The Boys'' but with a more childish undertone to it, replicating the madness a young girl experiences when she has her first crush.

I must say, that punch Hyoyeon threw at me was worth it.
I must say, that punch Hyoyeon threw at me was worth it.

The song for me at first was confusing and sounded very unfamiliar. The styles changed from verse to verse so drastically that it sometimes became overwhelming for me and I felt like I was being hit by a different song every 30 seconds. I tried searching for the chorus but to my surprise....there really wasn't one. I was left with mixed feelings and so I played it again and tried to hear it in a different way. The second time round, I really listened to the lyrics and found that it was pure genius what S.M. Entertainment did with this song.

The entire track is essentially a conversation between the girls about a boy from each of the member's perspectives (as the song title suggests) and how that girl who has fallen for this boy has changed ever since they have started this relationship. The song perfectly mimics a real conversation teenage girls and women would have when they'd see another they know in a new relationship and how they're affected by it. The reason for the change in tempo and genres every few lines is because we actually hear thoughts from each of the girls and how differently they all perceive this relationship. They all bring their own style to the table and this is why the costumes, locations and dance moves change so drastically. Genius.

As mentioned before, the song is a conversation between the girls about a boy. That is why the song goes back and forth, you have to follow the flow of the music and lyrics. Many fans and new comers to K-Pop alike that cannot understand the lyrics or rely more on the catchiness of a song may not like this at all. It requires one to listen, understand and relate in order to enjoy.



Reviewed by Kazi Zaman

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.